Communications and Social Media Internship (voluntary)
Women in Aid & Development (WiAD) is a membership organisation for women who work in, or aspire to work in, the international aid, development and humanitarian sectors. Our mission is to share the skills, knowledge and experience of women in these sectors to incite, inspire and support all women to pursue and succeed in leadership roles.
How do we do this?
We do this by providing a facilitated space for women who are committed to self-improvement to exchange knowledge, insights and experiences at regular networking meetings in Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne. We also share engaging content with our members, focussed on career development and women’s empowerment.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As the Social Media Officer, you will be responsible for creating and curating content to use across Women in Aid & Development’s website, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram accounts. Content may relate to international development, management, and leadership in the context of women and girls. Promoting both WiAD and the work of our member-organisations, this role requires the ability to distinguish useful information for our members and creativity to share stories about work emanating from our sector and members.
You will also help to prepare analytics reports evaluating the performance of our social channels, and work with members of our leadership committee. Through these and other responsibilities, you will get first-hand experience to develop your skills in digital marketing, copywriting and member recruitment.
During this six-month voluntary internship you’ll develop your creative, communications and project management skills and work with and learn from women in leadership positions.
You’re an enthusiastic self-starter looking to gain hands-on experience in project management and various aspects of media and communications work. You are a confident writer with great interpersonal skills, a can-do attitude, good creative judgment, strong attention to detail, and the ability to manage projects end-to-end and deliver results. Most of all, you’re looking for an opportunity to gain valuable experience in the international development sector, contribute to women in leadership, and make a difference in the lives of others.
The is a flexible role open to anyone Australia-wide. We anticipate 3-5 hours per week commitment.
- Come up with original and engaging content ideas and deliver these across our website, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram. To develop content, you will have access WiAD members, video and story resources provided by members; professional resources available online (for management & leadership); and sector news
- Develop and manage a Communications schedule;
- Monitor metrics like reach and engagement on WiAD’s social media platforms, and make content recommendations based on performance;
- Create an online database on Dropbox for WiAD & member-generated content that is approved for circulation. You will be responsible for editing, captioning and uploading images to an online database, ensuring all resources are accurate, up-to-date, and meet sector guidelines (ACFID);
- Participate in leadership committee meetings (teleconference) and attend quarterly meet-ups where able.
- Reports to: WiAD Board Member
Skills and competencies:
- Demonstrated interest in communications, especially social media
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Strong writing skills, including precise grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Self-manager and self-starter
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Commitment to women in leadership, international development and humanitarian work.
- Degree or qualification in relevant field
- Experience developing a communications strategy &/or communications schedule
- Prior experience in digital marketing
What this role offers you:
- Experience in communications, marketing and project management
- Opportunity to form connections with women already working in the sector
- An understanding of working in the development sector
- Transferrable business, interpersonal and team working skills
- The unique opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people and to rebuild lives around the world
- Individual Membership to Women in Aid & Development
Send application and cover letter detailing your experience in communications and social media, and your interest in international aid and development to email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed Week of 8 June, with ZOOM interview to follow. June start date to be confirmed with successful applicant.